Saturday 5 March 2011

Day 1.


Well after waiting 18 months I finally took over my allotment plot today. I had a choice of four plots, and I chose one with good sunlight, half workable, half overgrown and with an overgrown compost bin.

The soil appears to be very good, and I took along some compost from our back garden to start it off.











This is probably the most usable patch, right at the front, so I started work here today.


Raised bed towards the front, which is my next target.

What appears to be a previous season's corn.

I'm assuming a rubbish heap covered in brambles..








Some inspiration from the plot behind mine, raised beds, bird feeders, wind chimes, fence and gate and even a gum tree!











I got stuck in and essentially dug for an hour this afternoon, and soon realised the hard way that a lot of the plot was overgrown with stinging nettles... my fingers are still throbbing!

I have ordered some seed potatoes, garlic and purple sprouting broccoli seeds, so my next step is to design a plan to follow a step at a time.

Today's progress:





3 comments:

  1. Wow! Your own patch at last Rach. I hope you invested in a good pair of gardening gloves? These are essentals, believe me.

    Rach, rotary hoeing the plot (as suggested by the council lady) would really get you off to a fabulous start and aerate the soil so well.Money well spent I think....
    Great start anyways.Ouch! for stinging, pesky nettles!
    Tryt and keep those 'rubbish' bits of timber. They might come in handy later for making beds, edging, shelves....?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That all looks so fantastic Rach, so exciting for you to have this space. I can't wait to see all the "fruits' of your labour!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic! Well done you. I am crap at following blogs but I'll try & pop in from time to time.
    Nettie xx

    ReplyDelete