Sunday 13 March 2011

Day 2

After what started as a grey day we headed up to the allotment early afternoon. I took with me 3 garlic bulbs and assorted pea seeds, with the intention of clearing the raised bed, making the compost bin functional again and planting the garlic (and possibly some peas as well).

This was the raised bed when we arrived:


We soon realised that with the two of us working together it wouldn't take long to clear, and I set to work separating garlic bulbs.

This is the raised bed now, with fresh compost mixed in and one row of garlic planted:

I then set Chay on attempting to clear the overgrown compost heap, and soon he was calling me over to show me the amazing compost that had rotted underneath the brambles. I gathered some up and added it to the raised plot, before mixing in the veg scraps I had brought from home.

The compost heap before:


The compost heap now:


I then planted row of garlic, with the intention of doing much more, before discovering that the toilet was out of order, so we called it a day.

Next week's goals are to clear around the pea climbing frame that Chay has put back together (we found a derelict one on site when we took over) and plant some peas; plant the rest of the garlic and plant the onions I bought today.

No comments:

Post a Comment